I used to feel, and still do feel as though some respect should be given to someone who follows you on Twitter. I also have a sense that if I am following you and you don't follow back, it exudes an air of arrogance - an I will explain this when I explain my follow back policy:
If you follow me I will follow you back if:
- You are a real person and not an artificial life form.
- You are not trying to sell anything.
- Your account passes my bull shit detection. Examples:
- You have 0-2 tweets in total but yet you follow 200+ people including me. How on earth did you decide to follow me?
- You have nonsense tweets to start, and have an avatar of a "hot chick". I have seen far too many scams from so-called "software" devs trying to "feed their family" writing bullshit crap ware like tweet-tornado.
- Your profile is about something I just tweeted about. I once tweeted about the bible being bullshit and this person started @ mentioning me. I looked down the persons tweets and it was obviously a bot and the person once in a while came to respond to @ mentions to them. Their lame bot message? It was a variation of the current one : "I'm trying to get people to follow @the140bible for some biblical tweets, are you interested?" Instead she said something like "Have you heard of the @the140bible? check it out" Just because I mentioned the bible in one of my tweets.
- I click on your link and it takes me to bullshit. The photo I used for this blog post is a screenshot of a person that just has followed me this morning. Their web link takes me to this SEO bullshit. (figure 2)
- You have something interesting to say (offer). This one has a huge grey area. I am not interested in tweets that have nothing but links, thats an obvious feed for a blog. If I see you personally interact as well, this is a huge plus. I admittedly place a feed to this blog in twitterfeed, and I sometimes go a while without posting. anything but @GetGlue updates. But if you scroll down long enough you'll see some interaction with other people or you will see what I believe Twitter was meant for in the first place, and thats short, messages - micro blogging - thats highly interactive.
|(Figure 2. Russian SEO Bullshit)|